At Shardlow we have worked extremely hard on developing our very own Phonics scheme. By having our own scheme, we can ensure the children are being taught at the correct level and there is continuity throughout Reception, Year 1 and Year 2 lessons. The Shardlow Scheme follows three ‘sets’ of sounds which are taught to the children in a particular order to ensure they can achieve their best in Phonics!
Take a look at our scheme below and additional information from our Parent workshop.
EYFS & Key Stage 1
- Reading books are closely matched to the ‘set’ of phonics sounds that children are learning in EYFS and KS1.
- The books follow a colour order, increasing in difficulty as they progress through the book bands.
- The main schemes used in reading are ‘Floppy’s Phonics’ and ‘ORT – Story Sparks’.
- If the child needs longer to practise the level of reading, there are a number of schemes used to engage the children, such as; Songbirds Phonics, Read with Biff, Chip & Kipper and Dandelion Launchers.
- Oxford Reading Buddy is also used as an online tool to engage children in reading in school and at home (please see the ORB tab under ‘Parents’!)
Key Stage 2
- In Key Stage 2, children move onto our Accelerated Reader scheme.
- Pupils in Year 2 may move onto Accelerated Reader if they are reading fluently. The fluency of reading is assessed by school staff. Pupils in Key Stage 2 who are not reading fluently may remain on earlier reading schemes if deemed appropriate by the class teacher.
Please note that teachers continually assess children’s reading in school and use this information to determine when each child is ready to move on in their reading.
Links to support Phonics and Reading at home: